Update or upgrade is very important managing a website, including Open Journal System (OJS). Vendor will regularly update the application to make improvement for the system. As a user, it is important to know how to do clean upgrade for OJS 2. This tutorial is written because many questions addressed about upgrading OJS 2. Beside, it is also due to many user still using OJS 2 for managing the journal.
There are three majors steps in upgrading OJS 2.
- Pre-upgrade (backup)
- post-update (setting the configuration)
Let’s do it step by steps
This step is very critical for upgrading to make sure the system is safe in case the upgrade fail. There are two things that need to be backup, database and journal directory. Watch the video for further instruction.
After backup the important things, now you ready to upgrade the system.
- Download the newest version of OJS 2.
- Extract the file.
- Using FTP software, such as Winscp or Filezilla, copy all contents of the new download version of OJS, except for “Public” folder.
- Now you need to set the config.inc to set the web to installation mode.
- You ready to upgrade your OJS, go to browser and visit your domain, for example arbitrer.fib.unand.ac.id
- You will be directed to setup process of OJS, make sure you click “Click here” in Upgrade
- Then, to proceed upgrading, click Upgrade Open Journal System
- After process complete, change your installation mode in config.inc to on
- Now to complete the upgrade, you need to using terminal upgrade. On you Winscp or Filezilla, open the terminal, then check your ojs by using this script:
1. php tools/upgrade.php check 2. php tools/upgrade.php upgrade
Now you have done well in upgrading OJS 2, then you need to do the post upgrade.
After complete upgrading OJS, you need to modify several syntax in your new config.inc such as files directory, email setting, captcha, and OAI. Make sure all the setting same to the previous config. For detail process, check the video.